Bees Fight Back in Baltic Conditions For A Point


15th December 2018


After a string of brilliant performances, Harborough Town had to withstand their first defeat in 4 games last week – although respectably against runaway league leaders Daventry. Harborough looked to get back to winning ways in an instant, and Rothwell Corinthians were in line to be the next visitors to the Community Ground. Rothwell themselves were in dire need of points, so would not just roll over for The Bees – leading to an enticing fixture, made all the more intriguing with the horrendous weather conditions.

Rothwell started the brighter of the 2 sides within 5 minutes they had the lead; a lovely free-kick was delivered into the danger area, luckily falling at the feet of Kieran Nugent who smashed home from 6-yards out. Harborough looked to respond, with Callum Steer winning the ball strongly in midfield and playing puppeteer. He found Alex Morris racing down the right, Morris got to the by-line before bending in a beautiful cross finding Aaron Preston at the back post, but Preston’s first-time volley could only find the side-netting. Harborough kept the pressure on, and a well taken corner fortunately fell to Callum Traynor in the box, but his smart effort dragged just wide. Morris was again causing trouble down the right, and this time all his driven cross needed was a touch to direct it goalward, but unfortunately there was no Harborough man there to meet it. Harry Henbury was up to his usual tricks, wriggling through multiple defenders before firing a ferocious curled effort, looking for the top corner, but instead it scraped the post on its way wide. Harborough looked likely to score all through the first half, and they were unlucky not to be at least level at the half.

The second half was overshadowed by the Baltic conditions in which it was played, high balls got caught in the wind, low balls skidded across the wet surface – it was a nightmare scenario for both outfield players and goalkeepers. The quality of the game didn’t seem to falter though, with Harborough displaying some brilliant intricate passing to keep them in the game. The Bees desire paid off, when the hard-working Aaron Preston was fouled in the box to win his team a penalty. Captain Ben Williams stepped up to take it, and he calmly slotted the ball into the top corner, with the keeper just managing to get a fingertip to it. Harborough continued to look the most likely to score, with opportunities for a winner evident, but the conditions made it impossible for well taken touches.

The result was not what the home team wanted and played in such horrendous conditions a point did not reflect what the desire and passion of The Bees players deserved – However their ability to fight back for a point in such horrendous conditions is applaudable. Harborough will now focus on travelling to Leicester Nirvana next week, hopefully in brighter conditions.