Bees Cruise To Victory After Emphatic First Half Display
2nd March 2019
A week after Harborough Town came back from twice down to win 3-2 against Eynesbury,
The Bees welcomed Boston Town as they looked to continue their string of magnificent
performances and claim another 3 points with a view to begin a late surge up the table.
Boston Town, fresh off an 8-game unbeaten run would prove challenging visitors.
The Bees got off to a cracking start in strong winds, where they dominated the opening 10
minutes. Boston found themselves having to sit deep, with Harborough playing crisp
football around them, with good movement and accurate passing; Boston were limited to
half-chances that they found on the break. It seemed to be only a matter of time before The
Bees netted first, and they found the net 15 minutes in. A beautifully executed and deadly
counter-attacking move started by Josh Walsh bringing the ball out of defence
unthreatened before laying it off to the midfield; Walsh stormed forward and broke the
offside trap and was well found out before curling one perfectly into the top right corner.
Harborough continued to dominate possession and quality of play, moving the ball around
with pace and accuracy. It looked for all the world Dan Forbes would be next to score as a
free kick found its way to him 6 yards out, but as he was pulling the trigger he was clearly
tripped, and a penalty was rightfully awarded. Captain Ben Williams stepped up and calmly
slotted home with a good penalty to the bottom right corner. Moments later, Harry May
whipped in a cross any striker would dream of, but Dan Forbes couldn’t direct his header on
target. Another 5 minutes of supremacy passed before The Bees got their third of the day –
a deep and harmless looking free kick was fiercely delivered by Josh Walsh finding its way to
the feet of Callum Milne who clinically poked home for his 3 rd in 2 games. Milne almost got
his second of the day on the next attack, but his powerful long-range effort was well
parried. Glen Giles was called upon, one of the rare times in the first 45 but was
concentrating hard to tip over a good effort from the edge of his box. With minutes left in
the half, Tony Bartlett pleased the fans with a cheeky nutmeg of his man before looking to
get a cross in, The Bees struggled to get a shot off but eventually Forbes let loose from close
range but again it was well stopped. On the stroke of half time, Forbes finally got his goal.
Another deadly counter found Milne with time to put in a cross from wide, picking out
Forbes at the near post who’s volley found its way past the keeper at his near post. A superb
first 45 from The Bees with the score line nothing but deserved.
With the fans drooling for a repeat of the first half in the final 45, it seemed as if Boston had
other ideas. Finally finding a footing in the game, Boston found themselves with more
attacking chances, but were still getting completely outplayed most of the time. There were
no real clear-cut chances in the first 20 minutes of the second half, and Harborough’s first
big chance came when Forbes picked out Preston at the far post who just couldn’t find the
target. Boston Town got a goal back after a good dink into the box found Liam Tunstall
unmarked who headed easily into the bottom left corner. Giles once more pulled off a
mighty save tipping over another Tunstall header from close range; with the resulting corner
finding a head of a Boston player who rattled the crossbar. With 90 minutes gone, Boston
won a dubious penalty, looking to score a second consolation goal – but Glen Giles had
other ideas, getting down low to his left he strongly parried away the effort.
Another great day at the office for The Bees who are steadily climbing the table and almost
finding themselves in the top half for the first time this season. As they travel to Pinchbeck
United on Wednesday (6th), The Bees will be putting in the effort to continue this great run
of form.